You may have fewer people viewing your home during the fall and winter months, but that doesn’t necessarily mean fewer offers. Compared to selling a home in the spring when there are more homes on the market, selling during the final months of the year can often be a successful endeavour.
With careful planning and a few helpful tips you can showcase your home and find time to enjoy the season too. Here are tips to help you through a late-year sale:
- Weekends are for showing. Homes show better during the daylight hours, but as the days get shorter, the work week gets in the way for many buyers. However, this can work in your favour if you are selling a home late in the year. Show your home over the weekend during the day and leave it the evenings to enjoy outside social events.
- Get help with the cleaning. You’ll need to keep your home sparkling clean for showing, so this might be a good time to spend a little extra money on a housekeeper. Alternatively, have the whole family pitch in daily to pick up, wipe clean, dust and vacuum. Many hands make light work.
- Trim a smaller tree. Opt for a smaller Christmas tree and decorate sparingly to make an impact while not taking over the room. Be sure to store wrapped presents out of sight.
- Strip out the clutter to make merry. If you’re selling during the holidays, it’s critical to clear out and store away all household clutter and personal items. Once the decks are clear, you can accent with a few tasteful and carefully-placed decorations.
- Leverage tradition to create a warm, homey atmosphere. Plump pillows in cream and golds and soft earthy coloured throws coupled with red and woodsy greens accents provide seasonal touches that draw directly from nature. This kind of decorating is easy on the eye and attractive to any buyer.
Contact your local Calgary REALTOR®
Looking for an experienced agent who specializes in real estate across Calgary? Contact Vanessa Pitman, your local Calgary REALTOR®.